Plasma is a gas made up of positively charged ions from the air. It’s generally created through a cloud of gas (mostly nitrogen) that is magnetized into a beam transmitted from the device. Picture those fun electric balls you have seen as a kid and how it jumps from the base to your finger as you touch the glass.
Places like fluorescent light bulbs, neon signs and plasma televisions. And now, also as a beauty treatment to reduce aging!
Electric energy converts gas from the air into “diatomic molecular nitrogen,” mostly oxygen and nitrogen. It is then transmitted to the skin’s surface in a non-contact way. It literally will not fire if it’s too far away or if it touches the skin.
Plasma heats and disrupts all the way down to your dermal layer of skin to create micro-trauma to the tissue. The surface is lightly ablated with a “fanning” technique, at which time the technician creates the little dots in the tissue. Those dots are tiny blood clots with a small scab over the top, which means that unlike with CO2, the tissue is completed closed. This prevents the likelihood of infection risks, making it safer even than Microneedling.
This damage especially targets the “fibroblasts” in the inner part of your dermis.
Do you remember when you were younger and your face was supple and rounder than it is now (regardless of your age)?
That all comes from this beautiful collagen called type I. It’s a collagen you have TONS of in your youth but is slowly replaced by type III collagen over time. Picture type I collagen as well organized, supple and hearty, while your type III is loose, disorganized and smooshy.
When you stimulate fibroblasts, they get to work creating white blood cells to repair the tissue damage on the surface and recreate lots of nice, healthy collagen type I, transforming you back to your youthful self! They won’t do this work on their own. Most of them lay dormant until you have a wound that needs repair, so the plasma gas actually creates their activity.
It’s in this way that a Fibroblast treatment reverses aging. It also:
- Forms fresh new surface skin
- Increases elastin production
- Removes cellular trash
- Releases growth factors
- Actually INCREASES the thickness of skin
- No treatment on a port wine stain or birthmark
- If you are a Fitzpatrick Skin Type V or VI
- If you hyperpigment/hypopigment easily
- If you’ve ever had Gold Therapy for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Hypertrophic or Keloid Scarring occurs
- No eye treatments if you have Retinal Detachment
- Currently using Accutane, Corticosteroids, Blood Thinners, Antabuse
- Individual’s who are anemic
- If you bruise/bleed easily
- If you’ve had cataracts
- You’ve had a corneal abrasion
- Diabetics will heal slower but can have the procedure
- If you get cold sores you will want to pre-treat with medication
- If you have kidney or liver disease you’ll heal slower
- Same with mitral valve prolapse
- You shouldn’t treat an area with active eczema or psoriasis
- Recent Botox or Filler treatments should wait 21 days after to have Plasma Pen
- There’s a 3 month wait after Bleph surgery or Facelifts/Browlifts
- If you’ve had chemo or radiation there is a 5 week wait
- Wait 12 weeks after eye laser surgery
- If you’ve had Shingles, wait 6 months for treatment
- There’s a 6 month wait after Accutane use
PLASMA PEN VS COSMETIC SURGERY
- Many of the same in demand treatments & results, just without surgery
- No injectable anesthetic required
- No scalpels, no cutting and no ablation of the skin
- No stitches and suturing required
- Very low risk procedure
- Minimal side effects and very short downtime
- Quick and easy procedure with rapid recovery
- Most patients able to return to work the same day
- No thinning of the skin
- More uniform than ablative resurfacing
- Huge cost savings compared to alternatives
- Beautiful, long lasting and natural looking effects (around 3 years)
Nicolle Kent MD, FRCPC is a Physician Trainer for “Inmode” training Plastic Surgeons and fellow MD’s throughout the Western and Midwest states on the specialized treatments of ACCUTITE, FACETITE, MORPHEUS 8, FRACTORA, and VOTIVA which are all available at our Med Spa!
Experience the difference by using these fine products we use every day and make available for purchase by our clients where we can recommend just the right product to meet your beauty needs.
Tranquil Waters Med Spa in Gilbert, AZ offers a full spectrum of spa services and minimally-invasive procedures for women and men. We carry the best facial products that are only available at professional Medical Spa establishments like ours.